Sunday, February 24, 2008

New Blog

Last night Patrick mentioned that he needed to start learning how to increase traffic to his company's website. Search engine optimization is what it's called, I told him. How do I know this? Because half of what I do at work is either read marketing newsletters or research stuff related to websites--either creating them, using them or promoting them.

Anyway, I told him I'd look through my email inbox because I know I've gotten lots of articles about SEO. This morning I started thinking about it and realized how much information I've come across during the past year as I've basically had to teach myself all things web-related. One thing I'm particularly big on is researching a topic that I think is important to our website or business, with the intention of passing on the information and having someone realize I'm not just pulling stuff out of my a$$ and that I actually come up with some good ideas that make good business sense. Naturally, though, almost all of my research/ideas fall on deaf ears because the reality of the business world--or at least mine--seems to be that unless you're in a position of authority, no matter how good your ideas are, you can pretty much forget about implementing them.

At any rate, it dawned on me that it's a shame most of the information I come across goes no further than being filed away as mental notes about how something could or should be done. Much of my time seems to be spent obtaining a bunch of information about a given topic--why not write my own articles about it? While blogging about my feelings about this or that is fun, it's not exactly profitable; commercial writing, however, is a different story.

I then set up a new blog--Mizz Information (was supposed to have been Miss Information, but that was already taken...you can read about why over there)--where I'll be writing about stuff related to marketing, web stuff, and other business-related topics.

No comments: