
Have you ever seen the Family Circus Valentine's Day special? It is the BEST holiday cartoon ever, beating out every Christmas, Halloween, Easter or any other holiday special. Except possibly The Tiny Tree...but that's another post for another time.
I love the description of the Family Circus movie on toonarific.com:
The excitement of Valentine's Day reaches a fever pitch as the kids Billy, Dolly, Jeffy and PJ all try to outdo each other's Valentine's Day card to their parents. In the end, everyone learns the meaning of true love.
"Fever pitch" indeed! Granted I haven't seen this movie in, oh, say 20+ years, but to this day I remember every detail. Ok, maybe not every detail, but the overall warm-fuzzy feel. Not to ruin it for you, but the kids are busy making Valentines for the parents--I forget who's making what and/or if the three older kids are in cahoots making one together, but someone is crafting this huge heart with a wood frame, covered in red paper, etc. Then the adorable round-headed PJ (the baby) makes some little scribble and the other kids make fun of him for it. I think the "fever pitch" this review refers to is when Barfy (love that dog name!) does a the slow-mo "NOOOO Barfy!!!" run into the huge paper valentine and crashes through it, wrecking it.
Then the parents coo over PJ's scribble and the mom, in her ever valium-calm voice, moralizes that it doesn't matter what the actual Valentine looks like, it's the thought that counts.
Anyway, I guess it's too little, too late now but I'm going to spend from now until next Valentine's Day trying to find this movie on DVD.
1 comment:
I know I used to love that special, but don't remember any of the details like you do! Let me know if you find it. Yeah Family Circus!!
Post a Comment