Yesterday we saw This Christmas and it was as awesome the previews had promised. For whatever reason I am obsessed with movies about black families. I think it started with Soul Food. Something about the combination of the kitchen scenes, the emotional family dynamics, the gorgeous actresses and actors and the music just makes movies about white families seems so...well, white.
These are some of the common elements that make movies about black families so awesome:
1) The house: the setting for a lot of these movies is often a beautiful, comfortable house. More often than not, it's "mama's house." Most of the social activity in the houses usually takes place in the kitchen. Some of the kitchens are totally deluxe--for instance, the one in This Christmas--while others are dated or sort of austere, yet the ambience is always the same--warm and comforting and fun.
2) The actors and actresses: on one hand, it seems a little....something?....that most movies about black families seem to feature the same extremely attractive actors and actresses (I guess the term "actresses" is now defunct but I'm using it anyway). The characters are usually extremely successful--business men or women, lawyers, doctors etc--which seemed a little stereotypical to me (e.g. only focusing on that one subset of the population) until I realized that white movies pretty much feature the same handful of attractive actors and actresses, but the white versions.
Actually, I can't really make this generalization; for every five or so buppie characters there are usually at least one or two who are troubled in some way--police issues, drugs, etc. But that's another good theme in these movies--almost always the character faces those challenges and betters him or herself.
3) The strong female characters: Female black characters are almost always portrayed in a really strong, positive way, which I love. Whether it's Stella getting her groove back, or a woman who starts as a nobody making it big on her own terms or an abused or cheated-on woman getting even with the man--the women in most movies featuring predominantly black characters are almost always awesome.
There is also a recurring theme of a heavy woman accepting herself and being considered beautiful regardless of her size; show me one movie where a white woman is celebrated for her larger size. Everyone makes a huge deal if a white actress gains 20 pounds for a role--how brave of her!--but of course after the film wraps she's back to being anorexic in no time and all the magazines make a huge deal about what an accomplishment it was to lose all that weight. Where is the white version of Phat Girls? Shallow Hal? Bridget Jones? Please. You know white guys leave that movie cringing at the thought of accepting a fatty, whereas you leave a black movie where the actress is accepted regardless of her weight and it actually rings true and is inspiring.
4) Humor: I'm sorry but black movies are just funny--most of the characters have a ton of personality and are hilarious. Not surprising given that many of them are comedians as well as actors.
5) Music: No white movie has music as good as the music in black movies. Period. Drumline comes to mind off the top of my head--tell me that movie isn't incredible. This Christmas, for another example--you can't not cry when he's singing to his mom in church. Or at least I can't.
6) Dancing: No explanation necessary. Go see Stomp the Yard if you don't know what I'm talking about. The only kinds of white movies that come close are the ones about ballet dancers, and even those aren't THAT impressive given that no matter how much the actors practice their moves, none of them are actually professional dancers. Go see This Christmas for a perfect example of what I'm talking about--how many white families just break it down right in the living room? And if they did, a) how drunk would they have to be and b) how much would they suck?
Go rent Meet the Parents, for example, or Wedding Crashers or some other movie where a white family sits down to a meal together. Then rent Soul Food and go see This Christmas and you'll know what I'm talking about. Which table/house/after dinner party would you rather be at?
Monday, December 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment