Friday, June 25, 2010

FIO FTW

If you read this blog you are familiar with my favorite concept: FIO. If you don't know what that means--well, bet you wish you'd been reading all along, don't you? I won't make you dig for it because it's Friday--FIO=fuck it off. As in, doing things the easiest yet most effective way possible.

This video is a shining example of FIO at work. I read several reports about the iPhone 4 having issues with reception when people hold it by the metal band around the edges so I tried it. I had a mind to share but video is not my best skill, so I did this half-assed...actually, more like quarter-assed, at best--video showing the bars going down when I gripped the phone around the metal band. I uploaded it to YouTube and didn't think about it again.



Just my luck that this issue is very newsworthy the past few days; today I get an email from YouTube saying the video is so popular do I want to apply for revenue share for it. Huh? What's up with the dozens of comments and over 3,800 views in 2 days? NOTHING I've ever done has gotten that much traffic. Anyone can clearly see that it's the crappiest, lowest-quality video ever made and uploaded to YouTube. Who knew?

Just goes to show--it's not about how much effort you put into something; it's half luck and half knowing what people are already talking about.

No comments: