Monday, November 02, 2009

Not a Novel But....

Ok, so I can't commit to National Novel Writing Month....maybe I'll try National Blog Posting Month and actually post in here this month.

Unfortunately for you it will probably be about stuff like the fact that, despite trying my best to fight it, I remain shamefully obsessed with Jon and Kate. I don't watch the show anymore--the show itself actually sucks--but have been sucked into the tabloid drama of them. I'm telling you--it's the hair. People joke about her hair and say how horrible it is--for some reason I'm obsessed with it. The hair, the drama...it's just all so addictive for some reason.

Anyway, I usually don't watch the show--I don't like to give TLC the satisfaction of counting me as a viewer because I think the whole thing (despite my obsession) is horseshit. I guess it's the breaking up of their family that plays on my divorce guilt strings or something, because I am weirdly emotionally tied to their breakup--I feel personally let down and violated even though these may as well be cartoon characters. Maybe it's easier to watch other people go through divorce and feel sad than to look at your own situation too closely.

At any rate, I made the mistake of watching Kate--Her Story tonight. Mistake because a) her hair is all messed up and I'm sad about it; b) TLC got the satisfaction of sucking me in despite my best intentions to forever avoid tuning into that channel and c) because it's impossible to feel sympathy or harbor anything approximating a good feeling for Kate when you hear her talk. I try to believe she honestly cares about what's best for her kids--god knows she pays constant lip-service to it--but she is just so caught up in the fame and the money that it is painfully obvious that lip-service is all it is.

I had to turn it off when she pulled out photos of the kids she barely sees anymore since she's so busy with her public speaking, TV appearances, etc--and started going on about how can anyone question her devotion to her kids--after all, from the time she was 7 weeks pregnant till she was 30 weeks, she was on constant bedrest and didn't even EAT certain foods for fear of it harming her precious babies. Come on, lady--are you kidding me? She then went on to say that she HAS to continue doing TV because it is the ONLY way she can support her family. She literally said that it is her ONLY career option. Whatever--don't ask me why it riles me up so much but it does. Something about the whole situation just pushes my buttons. I swear it's enough to send me back to therapy....if only I had the time.

No comments: