Sunday, April 04, 2010

Why I'm Not a Mommy Blogger


I'm a mom and I'm a blogger but I don't call myself a mommy blogger. Why not?

  • My daughter will be 14 next month and my son will be 12 in July. Yes, I'm their mom and I love my kids but "mommy" is not the way I identify myself so why would I label myself a mommy blogger?
  • Let's be real--how much respect do women command in this world by attaching the label "mommy" to themselves? We've got enough obstacles in life as it is--why add another? Last time I checked, most women don't score bonus points in the work world by labeling themselves "mom." Or in the non-work world either, for that matter.
  • The whole mommy blogger thing has turned into a competitive, nasty mess where women are being taken advantage of by brands and PR agencies and sniping at each other. I don't want any part of that crazy competitive atmosphere. I don't want any part of the jealousy, the cattiness, the "hey--how come she got to do this and I didn't?" mess. Not sure what I mean? Just take the recent Dooce/White House thing as an example: read the comments of this post for a taste of what I'm talking about. 

No comments: